Thursday, January 19, 2012

Our Furry Friends Are Family Too

I woke up this morning feeling irritated and I'm not really sure where it stemmed from. I wasn't necessarily in a bad mood, but I found myself getting frustrated over my job and some of the clients that we have to deal with. Maybe it's because this week has been full of euthanasia and sometimes, it becomes a bit much.
I was telling a co-worker the other day how one of the worst things about being a part of a pet's euthanasia is how you never really know how a client is going to react to the situation. We have had some clients who haven't been able to drive themselves home because they were so upset and others just seem indifferent.
It's these indifferent ones that I have a harder time with. I can't tell you how many times I have heard the statements "It's just a dog" or "It's just a cat" or "A bullet is cheaper"....
Admittedly, this is not the norm. I am very fortunate to work in a Veterinary office where the majority of our clients view their pets as family. But there is still occassion when they just don't seem to care.
This bothers me.
Maybe I'm being judgmental and closed minded. But I just don't understand this sort of thinking. Why even have a pet if you aren't going to treat it as family. They are so very important to our everyday lives and some people just don't get it. And how dare anyone say to me, one of my co-workers or anyone else who works in the veterinary field "it's just a dog"....because most likely, no one you say this to who works with animals day in and day out, feels this way. Our job is to do our very best at keeping your pet healthy and safe and  in educating you in how to care for and love this being that can't speak for itself.
You don't have to understand this form of thinking, but you should at least respect it. Why even bother to bring your pet to the vet if you truly feel this way?
I've personally grown up having pets my entire life and I am very fortunate to have parents who are so very kind hearted, especially when it comes to the love and care of an animal. (Let's put it this way, if reincarnation is a real thing, I would like to come back as a pet in our future family tree.)
I've somewhat recently discovered that when I enter a home that has no pets, I instantly feel uncomfortable. It just seems unnatural to me. Our pets provide so much love that we as humans can't even begin to understand. My pets (yes, all 6 of them:) somehow know if I've had a bad day or if I'm not feeling well. They actually take turns nursing me and making sure I'm OK. We have a bond like no other and they don't sit there and judge me for the way I am feeling or interrupt me when I'm ranting about my day. They listen. And no, they may not completely understand what is going on, but they don't have to. They know what's important. The details don't even matter.
Sometimes a pet is all a person has in their lives. We have several older clients who have lost their spouse and the only thing they have to come home to after a long day is the warm wag of a tail, rub on a leg or lick to the face.I 'm a firm believer that our pets prolong our longevity.
They get us.
But some just aren't so lucky and it's sad and unfair and unjust. Our pets love us unconditionally no matter what....
All I ask is that you provide them with the same devotional love that they give you each day. Don't take this for granted. They really are a part of your family and if you can honestly say that they aren't, don't waste your time, more importantly, don't waste their time and find them a home where they matter.
Maybe I sound crazy and if that's the case, so be it. But I know I'm not alone in this thinking and I honestly feel sorry for those who don't get it. I'm one of the lucky ones. 
I hope when you read this, you realize that you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment