Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dial "M" For Mouse

Wednesday morning I was awoken by my husband Andrew with the statement, "Um, Mary, I think you need to see this...."
One might think that this isn't unusual, however it was 4:00 in the morning and I'm not considered a "morning person" per say so he was treading on dangerous ground.
I knew it had to be something concerning.
I rolled out of bed and followed him into the guest room/cat room/office, only to immediately see what he was talking about and trying to keep myself from screaming bloody murder. (This particular statement is quite ironic later on the story.)
Underneath the desk, laid a bloody mess of something unidentifiable. I ran over to look at it and exclaimed, "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?"
Andrew politely answered that he didn't know and that's why he knew I would need to see it because there was no way of being able to explain the look of it later on without me ever have seen it.
There were three small bloody  piles of what at first looked like a mix of intestine and possibly an organ or two. So naturally, I thought that one of the cats was vomiting up their own insides.  I frantically started running around, checking each one individually re: looking in their mouths, belly's, lifting up tails, ect. All of this in the midst of them trying to eat their breakfast.
They were all looking at me like "What the hell Mom?!? We're trying to eat here! How dare you disturb us!"
I then went back over to the unknown pile of goo, where Andrew had yet to move away from because I think he was in shock. We began to clean it up with paper towels and that's when I made my first mistake and sniffed what lay in front of us....
Yes. I love my cats THAT much....
I then ran away gagging and suddenly remembered that I don't handle this sort of thing well in the wee hours of the morning. Andrew was a dear and commenced cleaning the rest of it up.
We both went back to bed, lying on our backs, slightly twitching and in silence.
A light bulb went off in my head....."Was it a mouse? It had to be right? There's nothing else it could have been...but how did it get upstairs?"
Andrew tried to reason with me by stating that he had never seen mouse droppings in our house so it couldn't have been a mouse.
I rebutted with "We have 5 cats!!! No little critter stands a chance once entering our house. You saw the decapitated cockroach! You know the truth that lies behind our furry friends. They're evil...."
(Scratch that....it's Lorelai who is to blame for decapitating her findings and watching them slowly die...I can't fairly blame anyone else for this.)
"Oh God. Speaking of which. I didn't see a head. Was it an animal? What was it? Did you keep it? Where did you put it?"
Andrew politely listened to my ramblings of trying to solve the mystery of the bloody mess and answered that he had left the bag of remains on our front porch.
So I took it to work with me and had my co-worker Cathy investigate further. She slowly unwrapped the bag and took out the paper towel which had then frozen a bit from being outside. She took out what she could (that is, what was not stuck to said paper towel) and the first thing we both noticed was a long, thin, partially eaten string....
She lifted it up and we both looked at each other.....reaching the same conclusion.
It was a tail.
I called Andrew to let him know that it was indeed a mouse that the cats had caught, trapped, eaten (and possibly vomited). Andrew then told me that Lorelai wouldn't stop staring at him...almost like a warning not to cross her path....
In a way we were both relieved that it was a mouse and not one of our pets being severely injured/sick...but I  I have to honestly say, I felt bad for the little guy.
When I went to lunch later on that day, I checked my phone to see if anyone had called and received this message:

                                                  "Is this the face of a killer?"



I'll leave that answer up to you guys. What do you think?

On a side note, we named the little mouse Clarence (after the angel in "It's A Wonderful Life"), in hopes that he would serve to warn all mice to not enter, for it would be suicide.
Rest in peace Clarence.
Rest in peace.                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment